How do i get started?

biscuit

How do i get started?

Post by biscuit » Fri May 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Hello im 19 and have around $1000 to invest in the stock market. My question is how did you get into it and where should i get started?

XanTalent

Re: How do i get started?

Post by XanTalent » Fri May 25, 2018 1:35 pm

First off, your decision to get into the stock market this early in your life is great. I wish i had gotten into it years ago. The sooner the better they say.
I should point out that your question states that you want to invest in the market. That means you will be holding stock for long periods of time, years even. This is not a necessarily a bad thing, it can have its advantages. You can almost forget about it and still make some fantastic profits. But if you plan on using that capital for something else during that time, you may have to sell at a loss.
Trading, on the other hand, is often much shorted termed. A single trade could last months, weeks, days or even hours. You will be actively managing your stocks regularly as opposed to letting them sit and accumulate over time.
I suggest that you do some more reading before you get started. Decide what trading style suits you and practice. Investopedia is a good place for that.

Revensi

Post by Revensi » Fri May 25, 2018 1:50 pm

I agree with Xan. Definitely do your research first. If your looking to become an investor you can always start with reading the intelligent investor. I myself prefer swing trading over investing.

biscuit

Post by biscuit » Fri May 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. Im thinking that i will be trading more then investing.

BeHigh

Post by BeHigh » Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 pm

I use Robinhood for all of my trades since its free. But if you want to do options your probably going to have to switch to something like Think or swim in the future.

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 pm

If your swing trading then the stock scanner will be your best friend.