Reading Recommendations

sodaTab

Reading Recommendations

Post by sodaTab » Mon May 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Most of these are old classics, but don't let that deture you from reading them. They are entertaining as well as educationional.

1) "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator"
This is by far my favorite trading book.
The book tells the story of Livermore's progression from day trading in the then so-called "New England bucket shops," to market speculator, market maker, and market manipulator, and finally to Wall Streetwhere he made and lost his fortune several times over. Along the way, Livermore learns many lessons, which he happily shares with the reader.

2) "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" is an early study of crowd psychology by Scottish journalist Charles Mackay, first published in 1841.
It's a much easier read then the title let's on.
The subjects of Mackay's debunking include alchemy, crusades, duels, economic bubbles, fortune-telling, haunted houses, the Drummer of Tedworth, the influence of politics and religion on the shapes of beardsand hair, magnetisers (influence of imagination in curing disease), murder through poisoning, prophecies, popular admiration of great thieves, popular follies of great cities, and relics. Present-day writers on economics, such as Michael Lewis and Andrew Tobias, laud the three chapters on economic bubbles.

3) "The Outsiders : Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success"
Another cult classic that will widen you point of veiw.
Author Will Thorndike brings to bear the analytical wisdom of a successful career in investing, closely evaluating the performance of companies and their leaders. You will meet eight individualistic CEOs whose firms’ average returns outperformed the S&P 500 by a factor of twenty in other words, an investment of $10,000 with each of these CEOs, on average, would have been worth over $1.5 million twenty-five years later. You may not know all their names, but you will recognize their companies: General Cinema, Ralston Purina, The Washington Post Company, Berkshire Hathaway, General Dynamics, Capital Cities Broadcasting, TCI, and Teledyne. In The Outsiders, you’ll learn the traits and methods striking for their consistency and relentless rationality that helped these unique leaders achieve such exceptional performance.

4) "The Intelligent Investor"
While not my preferred choice of trading strategy and a little long winded, it's still full of market insight.
Benjamin Graham taught and inspired people worldwide. Graham's philosophy of “value investing”—which shields investors from substantial error and teaches them to develop long-term strategies. The hallmark of Graham's philosophy is not profit maximization but loss minimization.

All of these can be found on audible. I find listening while driving to be relaxing.
synopsis source: Wikipedia

RealElement

Re: Reading Recommendations

Post by RealElement » Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Penny-Stock-Trad ... B01JWN64OQ
I think is a good beginners guide for options.

BeHigh

Post by BeHigh » Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Is the wolf of wall street any good? All I know is that it's popular.

XanTalent

Post by XanTalent » Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 am

BeHigh wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm
Is the wolf of wall street any good? All I know is that it's popular.
It was garbage imo.